Medianett’s bi-monthly Bridging & Commercial Magazine is looking for a talented and dynamic Sub Editor to join our busy editorial team on a part-time basis.
Are you a freelance Sub Editor looking to take on an additional project, or someone with a background in Sub Editing who is looking for a more flexible role/entry back into the profession? This position, which will require your expertise for either one or two weeks, every second month, for six issues of the year, could be a perfect match.
This part-time in-office role would suit someone with experience of subbing trade or lifestyle print magazines, preferably in business or finance-related industries. You'll need to be confident in ensuring all copy is 100% accurate, adheres to UK media law, sourced and documented to Medianett’s guidelines. You will also be excellent and making sure copy is grammatically perfect and adheres to house style. This will also include re-working intros, conclusions, coming up with creative headlines, headings and captions, stripping out any repetition, and playing a key part in creating a print style guide for the magazine.
As you will have key responsibility subbing and fact checking the entire magazine each issue, you will have an excellent grasp of English grammar, spelling and punctuation and can spot inaccuracies and inconsistencies under pressure of tight deadlines.
- Ensure copy is error-free, factually correct and full sourced, adheres to Bridging & Commercial Magazine’s house style, and entertains and informs readers
- Suggest creative and inspiring headlines, captions, pull quotes, headings and introductions
- Ensure transcriptions, audio and sources are filed correctly and to SOP, so that they can easily be found for reference
- Perform key production tasks, such as updating flatplans once each article is subbed
- Liaise with our senior magazine reporter and editor-in-chief regularly
- Subbing and fact checking any additional marketing material, such as our supplements.
- Continually develop a style guide for the magazine
- Proven subbing track record on lengthy features on a magazine
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to remain organised and complete work to set deadlines
- A sound understanding of media law
Working hours can be flexible, however we intend this to be from 9am – 6pm to ensure you can speak regularly to the editorial team when needed.
Daily pay rate is between £100 and £160, DOE.
Does this sound like you? Please get in touch.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £130.00 /day
- subbing: 4 years (Preferred)
Flexible Working Options Available: