THE LEGAL DIVISION
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you’re an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
OUR DIVISION CULTURE
As a division we are focused on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, department mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The department also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women’s, Black and LGBT Firmwide affinity networks.
BUSINESS UNIT AND ROLE OVERVIEW
The Alternatives business within Goldman Sachs Asset Management is the primary center for our long term principal investing activity. The group invests in real estate, equity and credit strategies. Founded in 1986, and formerly known as Merchant Banking, the team has invested across a number of geographies, industries and transaction types. With 24 offices in 15 countries around the world, the group is one of the largest managers of private capital globally, offering deep expertise and long-standing relationships with companies, investors, entrepreneurs, operating partners and financial intermediaries around the globe.
- Birmingham based dedicated lawyer for the real estate investing business within the Alternatives business in EMEA with strong emphasis on transaction support.
- Role will involve working on a wide range of real estate transactions ranging from corporate acquisitions/ set up of operational real estate companies to direct asset acquisitions and disposals.
- Extensive interaction with investment professionals and colleagues across compliance, tax, financial controllers and operations.
- Advising on transaction structuring, negotiation of deal documentation, diligence, and regulatory and reputational issues.
- Ongoing portfolio management, including incidents/ escalations and litigation.
- Instructing and managing external counsel.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Good team player, dynamic and capable of working proactively on a wide range of issues in a fast-paced environment.
- UK or US qualified – with between 3-6 years PQE
- Previous in-house experience (including on secondment) an advantage.
- European cross-border transaction experience an advantage.
- Real estate/ Corporate/ Commercial lawyer with experience with the negotiation of term sheets, letters of interest, sale and purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, asset/ property management agreements and other financing and investing documentation (debt or equity), ideally in a real estate context.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We’re committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers .
We’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https:// www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity